Foundation 'Member in Good Standing' With ECFA
First printed in the Baptist Messenger October 30, 2003
The Baptist Foundation of Oklahoma has been identified for the 17th year as a "member in good standing" of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. The Foundation is one of 14 organizations in Oklahoma that have qualified for this recognition including a sister Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma agency, Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children. It also joins with national organizations like International Bible Society, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, the Salvation Army, Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, Wycliffe Bible Translators, Inc., World Vision Inc. and almost 1,100 other charitable, religious organizations which adhere to the highest standards of financial accounting, ethics and reporting.
"The Baptist Foundation of Oklahoma has faithfully demonstrated its continued compliance with the ECFA Standards of Responsible Stewardship," said David Brugger, manager of member certification. He continued that the Foundation joined with other life organizations in "....exhibiting excellence and accountability in ministry."
Since 1987 the Foundation has submitted financial information to the Council for review. Some of the criteria include:
1. A clear and strong commitment to evangelical Christianity.
2. The highest standards of financial integrity and Christian ethics.
3. Independent board governance and functioning audit review committee.
4. Annually audited by an independent public accounting firm.
5. Full financial disclosure.
6. Spend contributions according to the purpose for which they were given.
The Foundation's mission is to promote Christian stewardship and provide financial management for the gifts that strengthen Southern Baptist ministries . . . today and tomorrow.